Recycle Right Oak Hill:
Now that most Oak Hill residents are recycling curbside, we need to make sure that we are recycling right for the system to work. There is currently a high degree of glass bottles, dirty containers and other contaminants in the recycling stream that negate the benefits of recycling. This program will help you understand how to recycle right in Oak Hill so we can keep recyclables out of the landfill and in our economy. Let's make recycling work for everyone!
Items accepted in Oak Hill home pick-up recycling:
- All mail
- Phone books
- Cardboard (break down, bundle large pieces)
- Paperback books
- Bags with recycling logo
- Plastic containers
- Number 1-5 & 7 plastic containers
- Not accepted # 6 (styrofoam)
- Aluminum cans
- Pie pans
- Food cans
- Aerosol cans (emptied completely with no pressure)
- All emptied and rinsed
Items not accepted in Oak Hill home pick-up recycling:
- Facial tissue
- Toilet tissue
- Paper towels
- Tyvek mailers (for example: USPS Priority Mail mailers)
- Milk cartons
- Pizza boxes
- Paper with food or grease
- Hardback binding of books
- Any plastics or plastic bags without the recycling icon
- Paint cans
- Scrap metal
- Aluminum foil
- Eating utensils
- Containers that held flammable liquids
- Glass of any kind must be taken to a recycling drop-off facility
Recycle Right! Make sure your recyclables are prepared properly:
Bottles, Cans, food containers
- Empty contents.
- Rinse residue.
- Labels and lids can remain.
- Remove binder clips.
- Staples, paper clips can stay.
- Place shredded paper in plastic bag and tie shut.
- Bag small cardboard and paper cartons with other recyclables.
- Break down cardboard bigger than 2'x2' along the seams.
- Remove other packing material and wraps.
- Bind the cardboard together with string or packing tape in bundles not to exceed 4' x4' and 30 pounds.
- Put cardboard bundle beside bin.
- Spray to release remaining pressure
Household Chemical Containers
- Drain and rinse thoroughly
To recycle glass and other items not accepted at your home pick-up service visit one of these Convenience Centers:
- Hillsboro High School Recycling and Goodwill Drop-Off | 1818 Hillmont Dr. Nashville, TN 37215
- Granbery Elementary School Recycling Drop-Off | 5501 Hill Rd. Brentwood, TN 37027
- East Center | 943A Doctor Richard G. Adams Drive | Nashville, TN 37207 | 615-862-8631
- Ezell Pike Center | 3254 Ezell Pike (Located on Ezell Pike behind the South Police Precinct 5113 Harding Place - Note: for GPS users, please enter 5113 Harding Place) | Nashville, TN 37211| 615-880-2530
- Omohundro | 1019 Omohundro Place (entrance on Freightliner Drive) |Nashville, TN 37210 |615-880-1955